A broken furnace is the last thing you want to deal with in the middle of winter. A dangerous furnace is even worse. A simple annual tune-up is the best way to prevent these problems - most furnace issues are completely preventable.
A quick tune-up now can identify problems with the furnace before they become major issues. Think of is like a tune-up for your car - identifying and fixing a small oil leak now can prevent thousands of dollars in engine damage down the road.
Here is our checklist of essential tasks during every tune-up. If you're handy, you can go through (most of) the list yourself. If not, call in a professional: The price of a tune-up will be far less than an emergency repair in the middle of January.
- Inspect and clean air filters, changing if needed. A dirty filter can damage your furnace and increase energy bills (This is always part of a professional tune-up, but you should inspect filters on your own once a month).
- Check and clean all blower components. Remove any excess dirt to ensure proper airflow.
- Check system controls to make sure they're operating safely and effectively, including high limit and safety controls. Make sure the furnace cycles on and off properly.
- Check and adjust the fan and air flow. Make sure the fan only comes on at the preset temperature for maximum efficiency.
- Lubricate all moving parts. A motor will not operate properly (which wastes energy) if it is not properly lubricated
- Tighten all electrical connections. Loose connections can make your furnace unsafe and reduce its lifespan due to excess wear and tear.
- Check all gas or oil connections - a loose connection presents a fire hazard and can lead to health problems. Make sure the burner is clean and heat exchanger is intact - these pose health and safety risks, too. However, keep in mind that a chemical inspection is often required to locate dangerous cracks in the heat exchanger - This job is one for the pros.
- Check to make sure the thermostat is properly calibrated to ensure proper heating levels.
- Check belts for cracks and obstructed in any way.
- Clean and adjust the pilot if necessary.
Advantages of yearly furnace check up:
1. Save Money!
You will save money by having your furnace checked. It will counteract overpowering of the unit by contaminants that will influence it to run wastefully. We will tune your heater up to ensure that it is running at ideal productivity and thus lower your bills.
2. Improved Indoor Air Quality
Yearly checkups will clean your heater to evacuate allergens, for example, mold and dirt. You will be ensuring the wellbeing of the occupants of your home.
3. Increase the life expectancy of your Furnace
Most furnaces can last for up to 20 years, however many don't make it to 15 because of neglect. With the right care, you can have your furnace running proficiently for over 25 years and save cash in the long haul.
4. Peace of Mind
Yearly up keep of your furnace will ensure that your heater is in great working condition and will work through the frigid winter without any unneeded surprises.